Monday, March 28, 2016

Friedhelm’s Bavarian Inn--a little bit of Germany in Fredericksburg, Texas

Friedhelm’s Bavarian Inn is a favorite spot of mine for German cuisine in Fredericksburg, TX.  It has been around for as long as I can remember visiting the town. Yes, the prices are a bit high but everything in this little tourist town seems to cost too much. My husband and I stopped in for an early lunch on a Saturday before our 3 hour drive home.

Bread and Vegetable Soup
The atmosphere is faux Bavarian and many of the wait staff are in German outfits. We sat in a booth close to the bar area. I recommend that section if you can get it. More comfortable than wooden chairs. 


At Friedhelm's the generous entrees come with black bread with real butter, a cabbage and carrot heavy vegetable soup, a green salad, and one side of your choice. There are nine kinds of schnitzel (one of which is chicken) , a breaded sauteed meat cutlet usually topped with some type of paprika sauce and many other Bavarian dishes such as sausages, Sauerbraten, steaks and various non-German dishes. I ordered the Jager Schnitzel ($19.99) which is topped with a mushroom sauce and my side was the pan fried potatoes. My husband had the Holstein Schnitzel ($21.99) which is the Jager with two fried eggs on top with spatzle (soft buttered noodles) for his side.  You could also choose vegetables, baked potato, sauerkraut or red cabbage as sides. By they way, the schnitzel at Friedhelm's is pork not veal. The schnitzel was quite good but this a heavy meal so be prepared to need a nap. Everything is cooked in butter. I couldn't finish mine. Keep in mind that chicken fried steak is listed on their "lighter side" menu. I love their mushroom sauce, so many mushrooms! This is one of the main reasons that of all the places that serve traditional German food in Fredericksburg, I keep coming back to Friedhelm's even if it is a bit kitschy.

Jager Schnitzel
Holstein Schnitzel

Our server was very friendly, efficient and knowledgeable. She was able to answer all my husband's questions about their beers and recommended a German wheat brew that he loved. From previous experience, not all the servers are as skilled. She also brought us a side of spicy mustard to go with our potato skin appetizer. It was a great addition. I would have never thought of using it since we didn't order any sausages.


For dessert my husband had the carrot cake. I also got an apple strudel ($7) to take home.

Note: Weekday lunch menu prices are less expensive. You can also book a room there.


Address: 905 W Main St, Fredericksburg, TX 78624
 http://www.friedhelmsbavarianinn.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment