Monday, October 24, 2022

Masa Bistro & Sushi in Bar is a nice addition to the local Asian food landscape in Abilene

A new Asian fusion place has opened in Abilene in the old Enchilada Express/Skeet's location on S. 27th and Sayles Blvd--Masa Bistro & Sushi Bar. The word has been spreading about them with what seems to me...very little marketing so I feel that is a good thing as word-of-mouth goes a long way here.

Cheese wontons
Lettuce wraps appetizer

I eaten at Masa three times so far with three different groups of friends. The first time, I had the cheese wontons ($5.99) and a shrimp tempura roll ($8.95), the second time I ordered cheese wontons and chicken Pad Thai ($12.95), the third time I got cheese wontons and Singapore mei fun ($16.95).  Sensing something in common? Yes, the cheese wontons are yummy. Dainty in size but some of the very best I've sampled anywhere. The lettuce wraps appetizer ($9.59) a companion ordered was very generous and tasty. We shared it between four of us.

California roll
Salmon Skin Salad

The service I've had at Masa has been attentive, if a bit slow, but I can also tell there are a lot of new servers and some are still training and learning the menu, which is huge by the way. Like a lot of restaurants in town, they seem to have a bit of a worker shortage. Every time I have been, we were seated promptly and given time to peruse the menu. The decor is an upgrade in comparison to either restaurant that preceded them in this location. It is a relaxing space.

Szechuan Crispy Beef

When it comes to sushi rolls my "go to" is spicy tuna. I found the sushi at Masa to be as good as any I have had in Abilene (at the places that make their own in-house) landlocked as we are here. However, I should have stuck with my usual as the shrimp tempura roll had slightly rubbery shrimp. One of my dining companions went with a trusty California roll ($7.95) and was satisfied with it. The Pad Thai I ordered on my second to Masa was fine but needed a little something. It lacked flavor in comparison to what I have eaten at the two specifically Thai restaurants in town. The standout dish for me was the Mei Fun i ate on my third trip. It made two meals for me and had shrimp, chicken and pork or beef--not sure which--and egg. The thin noodles really picked up the seasoning. It was delicious and little spicy since it is flavored with yellow curry. Another friend of mine had the salmon skin salad ($8.95) which sounded odd to me but the presentation of it was colorful and impressive. She said it was very good. Another person ordered the Szechuan Crispy Beef ($16.95), a chef's special, and it looked very appetizing. It was a bit spicy but pronounced delicious by the person who ate it. The portion size was generous.

Singapore Mei Fun

They have also lunch specials but I have yet to eat there for lunch. If you like Japanese, Chinese, or Thai cuisine, give them a try. They have a large selection of saki and Asian beers as well. I also recommend it as a date night spot.

Masa Bistro & Sushi Bar

2134 S 27th St

Abilene, TX 79605

Phone: (325) 998-8888

https://www.masaabilene.com/

 

 Hours of Operation--

Monday 11:00 AM - 9:30 PM
Tuesday 11:00 AM - 9:30 PM
Wednesday 11:00 AM - 9:30 PM
Thursday 11:00 AM - 9:30 PM
Friday 11:00 AM - 10:30 PM
Saturday 11:30 AM - 10:30 PM
Sunday 11:30 AM - 9:00 PM

 

No comments:

Post a Comment