Tuesday, May 25, 2021

The Tavern in Fort Worth--an Armenta's restaurant

On a recent visit to Fort Worth, my youngest sister and I went for brunch/lunch to The Tavern on Hulen. There was both indoor and outdoor seating. It was busy but not crowded but to avoid a wait (we were hungry), we decided to sit at the bar and were seated immediately. The atmosphere was classy but relaxed.

Margarita (no salt)
The bartender was our server and he was attentive and very helpful answering questions. The menu was quite broad and brunch is served on weekends. There were several different price points and dishes. Everyone should be able to find something to their taste. As I was perusing the menu, I noticed that the Mexico City Enchilada ($15) had Armenta's sauce. Now, Armenta's is one of my favorite family-owned Mexican food restaurants (located in San Angelo, Texas). I knew that a member of the family had gone on to become a well-known chef with several restaurants in the metroplex. A quick "google" later and I knew I was now sitting in one of them! I had been wanting to try one of his places for a really long time but had never purposefully made a plan to eat at one of them. Lucky!

Once I saw those enchiladas on the menu I knew I had to order them. They were shredded chicken topped with the sauce and cojita cheese. Sides were fresh guacamole and black beans and rice. My sister ordered the Mexican Migas ($14) off the brunch menu. Side note: she raved about the margarita ($9) and pronounced it was a perfect creation! House-made mixers do indeed make the difference. Not too sweet with just enough bite to it.

Mexico City Enchiladas


The enchiladas were delicious. The chicken was well-seasoned and not dry but the star of the show was the Armenta's sauce. Smokey and full of flavor. The guacamole was yummy and didn't have too many onions which can be an issue. I can take or leave black beans and rice but the were perfectly good. 

My sister's migas were presented very well (sorry, no pic) and she was happy with them. They did have diced avocado along with the usual migas ingredients.

We both left full, though not stuffed, and happy. I will return, there are so many other things to try! Maybe the pastrami sandwich or the crab cake salad next time.


Info

817.923.6200

2755 S. Hulen

Fort Worth, Texas 76109

https://www.thetavernftworth.com/

 
Hours

MON - FRI 11am - 10pm

SAT 9am - 10pm

SUN 9am - 9pm

Curbside To Go: Available All Day

No comments:

Post a Comment