Saturday, May 29, 2021

Phoenix Pho--Casual Vietnamese in the new center on Judge Ely north of ACU

 

Nice view
I finally made it to Phoenix Pho last night. It has been open for about six months. There is a reason it has taken so long for me to get there so let me be upfront, I am not a pho fan...not really a soup person in general (chili is not soup) and those that I do like tend to have cheese in them. So this review will not be talking about the pho since no one I was with ordered it. We also did not get the boba (bubble) tea on offer, though they were doing a brisk business with the beverage sales.
In fact, when we walked in it was not apparent that they were even serving food since the menu behind the counter was all drinks. However, once we figured out the process--put you name down on a list if you want a table--we were shown the food menus and then stood in line to order at the counter. The food was then brought out as it was cooked (not all at the same time for everyone in the group). 

The space itself is nice and has outdoor seating with a view of the pond and the walking track around it. This is a new center in Abilene north of the Abilene Christian University campus and will eventually house several restaurants. It is a landscaped space with places to enjoy outdoors, walking paths, and water features. Even a playground for kids. It is already popular and is not even half occupied at this time (likely due to the pandemic). So far a Fuzzy's Tacos, Phoenix Pho, and a nail salon are all that are in operation with a Biscuit Bar and Twisted Root Burgers to join them in the future.

Back to the food. I ordered the fried rice with tofu. My two friends both ordered the combination fried rice with chicken, steak and shrimp ($12). We also got crispy egg rolls ($5) to share which were served on the cold noodle salad. Since none of us got the pho (soup), the bun (noodle salad), or the banh mi sandwich which were the the Vietnamese items on the menu, it isn't very fair to review them based on the more generic Asian dishes we ordered but I will anyway.

My tofu fried rice came out first, so while it was still warm (not hot mind you) my friends told me to go ahead and eat while they waited for their orders. I liked the variety of vegetables in the rice but I did have to use quite a bit of soy sauce to add some flavor. It was a bit too subtle for my taste buds. The portion was generous but at $11 it should be that way. Eventually the egg rolls (which were more like spring rolls in texture but did have meat in them) arrived and then my friends got their entrees. The shrimp was tasty though not plentiful but both of them found the beef and chicken to be too dry. One of my friends ordered a kiwi soda which she enjoyed a lot.
Combination fried rice


We sat outside to enjoy a very mild spring evening so the setting was great but we just found the food a bit underwhelming for the price point. Perhaps those that love Vietnamese food can comment and give feedback on those dishes?

Go there for the unique drinks and smoothies and to enjoy sitting outside. It will not be making my Asian food rotation though.

2449 N. Judge Ely Blvd
Suite 2501
Abilene, TX 79601
325-721-3631




No comments:

Post a Comment