Thursday, May 18, 2023

Jay's BBQ Shack--Abilene's favorite barbeque stand

 Jay's BBQ Shack in Abilene does indeed have excellent barbeque. In fact, the brisket sandwich I had today puts it in the top two places for brisket in town for me, with the other one being The Shed. Jay's has made it into Texas Monthly's review of BBQ joints with a very favorable mention, in fact it was dubbed Abilene's best brisket. No other brisket in Abilene compares to these two relative newcomers on the scene (read less than a decade old). I would say on taste alone, Jay's has a slight edge. 

Jay's BBQ Shack is only open for lunch and provides outdoor seating for customers. I got to the line shortly after they opened at 11am. They serve lunch until 2pm (or until they run out of  meat) Wednesday-Saturday. I wanted to be sure that they did not run out of brisket so I got there early. It was already quite long and it does not move very quickly. I stood in line to order for about 45 minutes and then had an additional 7 minutes to wait for my order to be ready. The line actually got shorter at around 11:40ish.

In all honesty, I am not a person that enjoys standing in line outside in hot weather to order food. My thought process was that is BETTER be as great brisket. Everyone in town has told me it was and therefore worth the effort. The effort involved is one reason it has taken me to try it. That, and I was secretly hoping I would be able to sample it at an event that they catered and skip the line. Since I was off work and the forecast was calling for it to only be 90, I went out there. Keep in mind that parking is on the street and the place is nestled in among businesses on S. 11th, west of Treadaway, so there is a fair amount of traffic.  

My order today was a chopped brisket sandwich with a side of Hatch green chili macaroni and cheese. A brisket sandwich is my standard order for BBQ places. Instead of sitting outside on the picnic tables, even though there was shade provided for the tables, the temperature outside was starting to climb so I got mine for takeout. The cost for the sandwich was $9.50, not a bad deal considering the price of brisket now, and the side of mac and cheese was $3.00. It came with their standard barbeque sauce, pickles and onions (which I asked to leave off). I also took home sample of their spicy sauce as well. There was a mustard-based sauce option too if that is your preference. 

The special for the day was brisket tacos and there were several other interesting items on the menu such as brisket Frito pie and pig candy (bacon burnt ends.) There were all the standard offerings of ribs, sausage, turkey, chicken and the usual side dishes as well as bags of chips. All the drinks are bottled or canned and beer is available. No ice or fountain drinks. 

My first impression of the sandwich was that they did not skimp on the meat. Yay! It had a nice bark on it but not too much which can make it chewy. The meat was not overly fatty which is how I like my brisket. The flavor was very good, not overwhelmed with mesquite smoke. Peppery but not over seasoned. The meat without sauce was juicy and enjoyable. The sauce was a little on the sweet side for me but still a good accompaniment to the brisket. The spicy sauce was also sweet but with a touch of heat. The bun was soft and fresh. Potato bread, I think. The pickles were thin-sliced and mouth-puckering dill, just how I like them. The mac and cheese had a kick of green chili and some breadcrumbs on top. The sauce was very creamy and the pasta was not too mushy. I was happy with it. A bag of chips is $2 but all the other sides are $3 each.

Was it worth almost an hour of my time? Yes. But you will not find me standing in line when the temperature gets above 90 degrees outside because I just do not do that. However, if you are tolerant of Texas weather or can go on a nice day, Jay's is well worth your time and your money. Check out their social media for daily features. 

Jay's BBQ Shack

602 S. 11th Street

Abilene, TX  79602

Wed-Sat

11 am - 2 pm or until sold out

https://jaysbbqshack.com/


   

No comments:

Post a Comment