Monday, June 7, 2021

Mexican comfort food--The Original Henry's in San Angelo, Texas


Chicken Flautas plate




Beef enchiladas


It is not secret that when I visit San Angelo eating Mexican food is often on my list of things to do. Recently, I went to visit my niece there who recently graduated from Angelo State and took her to lunch there. Despite having gone to college in San Angelo she had somehow missed eating at this local institution.

You do need to expect a wait but it is not usually too long because the restaurant is large. Henry's is very popular--for a reason. We went on the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend and because there were only two of us, it only took about 20 minutes. There were several large family groups waiting to be seated.

The décor is colorful. It isn't a quiet restaurant when it is busy but everyone seemed to be in a good mood and enjoying themselves. The service was very attentive and food came out fast. Of course, complimentary chips and salsa are served. Ask for the white sauce too if your like a creamy dip for your chips. It is garlicy and reminds me of something between aioli sauce and ranch dressing. 

My niece ordered the beef enchilada plate with chili con carne sauce and I got the chicken flauta plate. Bothe came with beans and rice. I have the choice of lettuce or cabbage with my flautas. They were topped with avocado sauce. I enjoyed the refried beans but the rice was a little dry but I do not usually eat the rice much anyway. 

Usually it get the tres colores enchiladas but this time I varied my routine. The flautas were calling my name.  Everything was tasty and we did not leave the least but unsatisfied with our meal. I miss when Henry's had a sister restaurant in Abilene called Enrique's which was one of my "go to" places for comfort food and a great burger as well.

The next time you are in San Angelo, give them a go. I think you will enjoy the food and leave in a good mood.

3015 Sherwood Way
San Angelo, TX 76901
325-223-0171

https://originalhenrys.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment