Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Comal serves delicious and authentic New Mexico style food in Ruidoso, NM

Guacamole tostada, chicken enchilada and chile rellano with green chile
Chimichanga with red chile and chicken enchilada with green chile
My husband and I were looking for some authentic New Mexico style Mexican food and that means chile-- green, red or both. We found it at Comal. A family run restaurant in mid-town Ruidoso. When you walk in the place looks very small but they have additional seating inside around the corner from the front part of the restaurant and outside as well. The meal started with the traditional chips and hot sauce. The chips were a bit on the thick side for my taste but the hot sauce was spicy and made with red chili, very tasty. We began our meal with a bowl of the sopa Azteca which is a chicken tortilla soup with red chili...absolutely delicious! For my entree, I ordered a combination meal with a guacamole tostada, chicken enchilada and chile relleno with green sauce, rice and beans. My spouse ordered the same except he substituted a beef chimichanga with red sauce for the chile relleno. What really stood out was the quality of the sauces. They were spicy, aromatic, authentic and perfectly wonderful.  I particularly enjoyed the guacamole. It was very fresh and had a hint of sweetness to it. I am still trying to figure out what the secret ingredient was...maybe some agave. The owner also sent out complimentary sopapillas for us.

The service was very attentive. We ate at 3pm in the afternoon so only the owners, a husband and wife team, were working. Before leaving town on our last day, we stopped a second time for lunch. I ordered the enmoldas which are chicken-stuffed corn tortillas with mole sauce on top, an interior Mexican dish. That mole was the best I have ever eaten! I could smell the cinnamon in it. I also couldn't resist getting another guacamole tostada. The chile relleno my husband ordered was too cold and greasy but the rest of his meal was very tasty. He went with the chimichanga and chicken enchilada both with red chile sauce. We left stuffed and happy.

I highly recommend Comal if you are traveling to Ruidoso, NM. The atmosphere is cozy and the prices are extremely reasonable. All the entrees were less than $10. It can be a bit hard to spot from the street but it is worth the search. No alcohol is served.

2117 Sudderth Dr
Ruidoso,NM 88345-6137
575-258-1397
In the Gazebo Shopping Center 
Open 11am-8pm Wednesday through Monday, Closed on Tuesday

No comments:

Post a Comment