Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Monument Cafe--Cut Above Comfort Food in Georgetown, TX

The Monument Cafe is definitely worth a trip into Georgetown off of Interstate 35 north of Austin. I was headed back home from a conference with some colleagues and one of them suggested lunch at the Monument Cafe. After he told me about the great comfort food (much of it locally sourced and organic) and the scrumptious desserts, I was very game to give it a try.

Art deco coolness
As we walked in I noticed the board with the special offerings for the day, the awesome art deco light fixtures and all the black/white/stainless steel decor. It was about 1:30pm on a Thursday, no wait. Being seated right away is a rarity since normally they are pretty packed.

Hand-made strawberry lemonade
Once settled into our booth, I perused the menu and thought about ordering an omelette since breakfast is served all day but went with the special for the day which was chicken pot pie. There were also burgers, salads, sandwiches, and other home-style favorites like chicken fried steak, liver and onions, truck-stop enchiladas, or fried chicken.

Hand-made strawberry lemonade was my beverage of choice...loved that it was served with the shaker and I could get two glasses out of it.

Heavenly chicken pot pie and onion rings
Everyone at the table ordered the chicken pot pie. I had onion rings with mine and my other two companions got the macaroni and cheese. The pastry on the pie was flaky and tender and the filling was chock full of vegetables. The perfectly seasoned broth and chicken please my palate. Sometimes chicken pot pie can be bland. This may have been the best one I have ever eaten since my grandma's version. The breading on my onion rings had a black pepper twist which accented the thinly sliced onion quite well. A larger portion would have been appreciated.

Carrot cake
Despite being pretty stuffed, I had to have dessert and ordered the carrot cake though I couldn't finish it. Luscious.

Service was friendly and efficient. No complaints. Prices were fair. I didn't pay the bill but I think my meal was around $15.00 without tax or tip.


I peeked into the Monument Store that is attached to the cafe and bought some locally grown hot peppers. There was a variety of veggies, beauty and health items, wine and beer, and a deli in the store.

When driving through Georgetown, I'll have to make sure to  go again! Breakfast next time. Thanks

Monument Cafe
500 S. Austin Avenue, Georgetown, TX 78627
12-930-9586
Sun. - Thrs. 7 A.M. - 9 P.M.
Fri.-Sat. 7:00 A.M. - 10:00 P.M.
http://www.themonumentcafe.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment