Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Dixie Pig--A Beloved Diner in A-Town




Dixie Pig Diner on the corner of Butternut and S. 14th
Mr. Pig omelette with sausage and bacon
The Dixie Pig has been around a long time (85 YEARS!) and as far as I am aware the menu has been the same for at least the past 20 of them. They are only open for breakfast and lunch, Monday-Saturday. They do NOT take debit or credit cards so bring some cash. I saw no ATM on site.

Saturday mornings usually mean a wait for a table and you are not seated until all your people have arrived. Service varies from super friendly to grumpy, luck of the draw. Decor is piggy. Pig signs, pig knickknacks, pigs everywhere...fun for the kids to spot all of them.

My husband and I went last Saturday. It had been raining and was overcast so it seemed like a good day to go to a greasy spoon for breakfast. In Abilene, that means the Dixie Pig. It is locally owned. I have only had breakfast there, except for one time when we went after 11am and I ordered a BLT. I have never had the famous Pig Sandwich. Lunch is the usual burgers, sandwiches, and chicken fried steak options.

Biscuits and cream gravy
Usually, I go for pancakes or an omelette at the Dixie Pig. The Mr. Pig omelette was calling my name most recently. It is the most expensive breakfast item on the menu for about $8.50. Lunch options are priced similarly. The Mr. Pig is made up of three eggs, cheese, bacon, sausage, with a a little tomato and onion served with hash browns and either toast or biscuits and gravy. The omelette was large and the bacon was abundant and really crispy. The hash browns were a little overdone for my taste but I ate all of them. The biscuits were dense and the gravy was nice and peppery if not homemade. I only ate one of them.

All in all a satisfying breakfast for a reasonable price and plenty of local clientele. We ran into our neighbor which is cool since we all live on the north side and the Pig is on the south side of town. See my review for The Flipping Egg for another local breakfast/brunch/lunch option in town that is open on Sunday.

1401 Butternut St, Abilene, TX 79602
(325) 673-3292
No website, no official Facebook page

No comments:

Post a Comment